Tuesday 17 November 2009

Taking heed.

When I was writing my blog yesterday I was thinking of all the different pieces of advice that I have been given by so many people so far on this epic of journey to hit 8a.

During yesterdays session a certain Mr. Rob Knight, Mr. Tom Hull and I had the following exchange after a discussion on redpoint tactics:

ME: "Tom, on belay if you hold me at the rest I'm trying the roof section backwards. Rob said I should try it that way and he's a legend."

ROB: "I'm not a legend, i've just been around longer than you have."

Seemingly a pretty boring exchange but on reflection it aroused several different thoughts...


Rob Knight
IS NOT a legend (in a climbing sense anyway). HE IS bloody strong. HE HAS been around longer than I have and HE HAS a lot of experience indoors and outdoors and with this experience he holds a plethora of tips and good advice.

The same can be said for many of my peers on the 'climbing scene'.


Tips I have recieved range from simple, broad suggestions like 'You should take a rest week.' (
F. WOOD, T. HULL, B. SCRAGGS ... in fact, probably 90% of the people I chat/climb with recommended this, so thanks) to the miniscule details like, 'Liam, twist your toe in on that heel hook at the top' (thanks T. HULL) ... which led to my first successful f7a+ redpoint lead.

I've always watched in awe as much stronger climbers powered up routes that I could only dream of getting on (routes which I am now trying) ... I'm still watching, but instead of just gawping and being amazed, i'm observing. Absorbing every bit of information that I can. I want to know how they're doing it, what they're doing different, each intricate movement and detail. I'm listening to those little nuggets of information and utilising them every time I touch a hold.

With each and every bit of encouragement, each tiny prescription and act of advocacy I am learning to focus and channel it, harnessing what other people are offering and learning to use it in my own productive way.

When I finish writing this I'm going to be heading out to do some bouldering and putting it all to good use.

Before I go,

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone that has helped so far, you may not even know that you have helped if I have just been stood watching you while you were crushing a route.
THANKS.

I also want to put it out there that we should not take the advice and information that we get from those stronger or more experienced than us for granted. Take what you can get and use it well.


Take heed.

Liam.

No comments:

Post a Comment