Friday 3 September 2010

CLIMBER: 2011

Bank Holiday Monday was not only one of the finest days (weather-wise) that the Lake District has ever seen but it also saw a wee visit from esteemed climbing photographer and writer Keith Sharples. Keith was in the area to get a few shots for his famous climbing calender (released annually...go figure?!) CLIMBER:2011 (the year changes annually as well...complicated stuff!) and through a UKC comp had got in touch with me as the 'subject' for his shots.

I don't have photos yet, but they should be on Keiths website / UKC soon enough.

Keith, his friend Rae (I think that is how I'm supposed to spell it), Phil Vickers and I all headed out super early to Carrock Fell to make the most of the stunning conditions. After shooting the super classic Boardman's Arete and trying a couple of other problems we got a wriggle on and headed over to St. Bees.

Now I have never been to St. Bees before. Have you? If you are saying no to this...go, NOW. What a stunning spot. Fantastic climbing. We shot for a while on a sport route called Dreaming of Red Rocks which is a three star f7a+ and the uber classic of the crag. NOTE: If it's sunny, it is bloody hot! I was sweating like a nun in a cucumber field (We all know nuns hate cucumbers. Right?!)

Then as it started to cool a little we nipped round the corner to St. Bees North and bouldered until our fingers bled and the light fled. The rock is fantastic, the problems superb, from Font 3 all the way through to Font 8a. There is something for anyone that wants to climb.

As soon as I get more info/photo's I'll post them on here.
Oh...by the way, Phantom Zone is within an inch of it's life. I am SO UNBELIEVABLY CLOSE. Very almost did it this Thursday night on a quick hit there with Jon Freeman. So excited to get it done.

Love to you people.


1 comment:

  1. While nonchalantly strolling through a graveyard the other morn, I happened upon the grave of one Walter Parry Haskett Smith and could distinctly hear a whirring sound; indicating his body was turning!

    ReplyDelete